Location: Western Cuba, including the Isla de la Juventud
Event: Potential Tropical Cyclone
The U.S. National Hurricane Center advises that as of 4:00 a.m. on Friday, June, 3, 2022, a tropical storm warning is in effect for western Cuba, and a tropical storm watch is in effect for the Isla de la Juventud. Heavy rain is expected, and life-threatening flash flooding and mudslides are possible. Impacts are expected in the provinces of Pinar del Rio, Mayabeque, Artemisa, Havana, Matanzas, and the Isla de la Juventud.
U.S. government personnel are advised to remain current on weather updates and make appropriate emergency preparations. Temporary duty personnel should consider adjusting travel to avoid potential flight disruptions from the storm.
Actions to take:
- Maintain safety and security awareness at all times.
- As the storm approaches Cuba, avoid areas around the Malecon and the U.S. Embassy in the city of Havana. Follow the instructions of local civil defense authorities and monitor local media for developments.
- Contact your airline if you are experiencing any disruptions in service.
- Call +(53) (7) 839-4100 to speak to the Embassy duty officer if you are a U.S. citizen needing emergency assistance.
- Remain current on weather, road, and water conditions through local and U.S. sources, such as the National Hurricane Center.
- Visit Ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness.
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- Notify friends and loved ones of your whereabouts.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water; find alternate routes.
- U.S. Embassy Havana, Cuba
+(53) (7) 839-4100
+(53) (7) 839-4100 and dial 1, then 0 (after hours)
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cuba Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter