Victims of Crime

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We help in two ways:

  • Overseas: consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them navigate the local police and medical systems.
  • In the United States: our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.

If you are the victim of a crime overseas

  • To contact the U.S. Embassy in Havana call (+53) 7 839-4100.
  • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or +1 202 501-4444 (from overseas).
  • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help. Request a copy of the police report.

Consular Assistance to U.S. Citizen Crime Victims

When a U.S. citizen is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional, or financial injuries.  It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs.  Consular officers, consular agents, and local employees at overseas posts know local government agencies and resources in the country where they work.

We can help

  • Replace a stolen passport.
  • Contact family, friends, or employers.
  • Obtain appropriate medical care.
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime.
  • Explain the local criminal justice process.
  • Obtain information about a case.
  • Connect a U.S. citizen to local and U.S.-based resources to assist victims of crime.
  • Obtain information about any local and U.S. victim compensation programs available.
  • Provide a list of local lawyers who speak English.

We cannot

  • Investigate crimes.
  • Provide legal advice or represent anyone in court.
  • Serve as official interpreters or translators.
  • Pay legal, medical, or other fees.