Minor Applicants

For minor children applying for a U.S. passport for the first time in connection with applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please read the instructions for both the passport and CRBA processes to see what documents and evidence are required before making an appointment.

Minors under the age of 16 must appear personally with their parents to establish identity, proof of citizenship and proof of relationship.  For parental application permission, both parents must appear together and sign, or one parent may appear to sign and submit the other parent’s notarized statement, or one parent may appear, sign, and submit primary evidence of sole authority.  Minors aged 16 and 17 may apply in person with their own identification, but parental consent may be required for security reasons.  If your child does not have identification of their own, a parent will be required to accompany the child and present identification.