Children First-time Issuances

To schedule your appointment in Havana for your child’s first passport (if you already have a U.S. birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, a Citizenship Certificate, or other proof of citizenship), please contact

Children must appear in person accompanied by a parent. Please remember that the law requires the consent of both parents on all passport applications for minor children under the age of 16, or documentation of sole custody.

You must bring the following to your appointment:

  • Certified birth certificate (showing parents’ names) and a copy
  • Application form DS-11 Do not sign the application until you are requested to do so by a Consular Officer.
  • Application fee(U.S. dollars).
  • One 2″ by 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) color photo(front view, full face and plain white or off-white background.
  • Photo identification of both parents (present the originals and submit one copy of each parent per applying child)
  • Notarized written consent of any parent not present.  Please note we only accept U.S. notaries.  The preferred form for providing parental consent is the DS-3053 (PDF, 51.5 KB).
  • Proof of the child’s U.S. citizenship, such as:
    • Original U.S. birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
    • Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship
    • (All original documents must be accompanied by a photocopy.)

For children born in the U.S., parents must provide extensive evidence of the birthplace, identity, and citizenship of the child.  This includes but is not limited to the following:

  • Medical records and photos documenting the mother’s pregnancy and birth of the child in the United States.
  • Family photos from the child’s infancy to the present, especially photos in the U.S.
  • For older children, please bring the child’s medical and school records.

Cases are considered on an individual basis and the Consular Officer may request that you provide additional evidence.