U.S. citizen parents should report their child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.  The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which is a United States citizenship document.

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.  Applicants older than 18 who have never been issued a CRBA should contact the American Citizens Services Unit.  Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must use a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have dual citizenship.  For detailed information about the CRBA, please review the website.

Applicants may schedule appointments by emailing the American Citizens Services Unit at or calling (+53) 7839-4100 during regular business hours.