- Birth – Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
- Marriage Process
- If Only One Parent Can Attend
- Transmission Requirements
- Required Documents
If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth and the U.S. citizen father is not able to attend the appointment, form DS-5507 (PDF, 45 KB) Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support is required.
The form must be completed, signed and notarized, and should be presented along with a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form.
If you are also applying for a passport and one parent is not able to attend, the parent who cannot attend the appointment must submit a notarized form DS-3053 (PDF, 83.4 KB) Statement of Consent.
A copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must be attached to the form.
Alternatively, the applying parent may submit one of the following documents:
- Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent (provided that parent is the American citizen transmitting citizenship to the child)
- Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent. Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
- Death certificate of non-applying parent, or judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent.