Birth – Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents may apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen.  A CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school in the United States, among other purposes.  A CRBA is not a travel document.

Please note:

  • The wait time for a CRBA appointment varies due to demand.
  • A CRBA cannot be issued to a child born before the U.S. citizen parent is naturalized. If the child is born before the parent naturalizes, the parent must follow the visa process.  For information on visas,

Learn more about applying for a CRBA in Cuba: