Event: On September 1, new COVID related restrictions were imposed in the province of Havana by the local government. The new restrictive measures are related to the movement of people and vehicles, and the sale of products. The new measures include a daily curfew from 7pm until 5am, reduced operating hours for essential businesses like supermarkets, and reduced availability of fuel. These measures have been extended until September 30, but may be extended if COVID related health conditions do not improve. Non-compliance with these measures and hygiene protocols may result in fines and possibly more severe measures.
The U.S. Department of State updated the Travel Advisory for Cuba on August 6, 2020. Do not travel to Cuba due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Cuba due to demonstrable and sometimes debilitating injuries to members of our diplomatic community resulting in the drawdown of embassy staff. Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Cuba due to COVID-19.
The latest U.S. Embassy Havana news and important alerts for U.S. citizens can be found here: https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
To receive these alert messages directly in your email inbox, please register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at http://step.state.gov.
In the event of an emergency, U.S. citizens can contact us at +53-7839-4100 or email us at ACSHavana@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the Department of State COVID-19 information page for the latest information.
- Visit our U.S. Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information about conditions in Cuba
- U.S. Embassy Havana, Cuba
55 Calzada, La Habana, Cuba
+(53) (7) 839-4100
+(53) (7) 839-4100 and dial 1, then 0 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cuba Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.