The Human Resources Office provides human resources and recruitment services to the U.S. Embassy in Havana. We cannot help you seek employment in other organizations in Havana, the United States, or other countries. We encourage you to submit your DS-174 application form every time you want to apply for a vacancy. Please send your application form DS-174 ONLY if you are applying for any of the positions currently advertised.
Positions are normally advertised for two weeks. The list of vacancies changes often.
Applicants must have permission from the Government of Cuba (GOC) to work in Cuba. This essentially includes two groups: 1) Cuban citizens or legal residents and 2) the diplomatic corps. The diplomatic corps includes those accredited by the GOC as diplomats or their family members (U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFM), Eligible Family Members (EFM), and family members of diplomats posted to Cuba from other countries). Applicants will be asked to provide documentation to support their legal right to work in Cuba.
Please note that if you are selected for a position at the U.S. Embassy you will be required to go through a security investigation prior to your appointment. All Cuban citizen applicants must also be approved and hired by the Cuban employment agency, PALCO, before they can begin working at the U.S. Embassy.
U.S. EMBASSY HAVANA CAN ONLY ACCEPT JOB APPLICATIONS FROM INDIVIDUALS WHO ALREADY HAVE PERMISSION FROM THE CUBAN GOVERNMENT TO WORK IN CUBA. Additionally, the Embassy lacks the resources to respond to individuals that do not have GOC permission to work in Cuba.
How to Apply
- Submit your DS-174 application form to Havana_Jobs@state.gov no later than the closing date stated on the announcement. Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- You can also drop off your DS-174 application form at the U.S. Embassy in Havana (Calle Calzada between L and M, Vedado). Always specify the vacancy title and number and, if possible, please include an e-mail address in your application where you can be contacted.
- Click on the vacancy title link to access the vacancy announcement. Please read the announcement carefully before sending your DS-174 application form .
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veteran’s preference must provide a copy of their form DD-214 with their application.
- Provide any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
The embassy cannot acknowledge receipt of all applications. To inquire about the status of your application or any vacancy for which you have applied, please contact us at Havana_Jobs@state.gov.
Effective January 23, 2017 a Presidential Memorandum was issued implementing a 90-day hiring freeze. The Department of State Human Resources Bureau’s Office of Overseas Employment has issued guidance permitting us to continue to advertise and hire Personal Service Agreement positions. EFM positions, however, are still subject to the freeze.
Information Assistant (Webmaster) (Opening Period: January 13, 2020 – Until filled)
IRC Technician (Opening Period: December 13, 2019 – Until filled ) (PDF 429 KB)
Mason (Opening Period: March 9, 2020- March 23, 2020) (PDF 420 KB)