The United States established diplomatic relations with the Republic of Cuba in 1902, opening the first U.S. Embassy in Havana in 1923. The Embassy was closed in 1961 when the United States severed diplomatic relations. During President Carter’s administration in 1977, the United States and Cuba signed an agreement establishing the U.S. Interests Section (USINT) in Havana, and the Cuban Interests Section in Washington, DC. Under the formal protection of the Embassy of Switzerland, USINT operated out of the former U.S. Embassy building, which first opened in 1953. On December 17, 2014, President Obama announced the intention to re-establish diplomatic relations with Cuba. After six months of negotiations, the two nations officially renewed diplomatic relations on July 20, 2015, and USINT became U.S. Embassy Havana.
The functions of U.S. Embassy are similar to those of any U.S. government presence abroad: consular services, a political and economic reporting section, a public diplomacy program, law enforcement liaisons through the Regional Security Office and U.S. Coast Guard, a management and administrative office, and other programs to promote coordination with the Cuban government on a growing number of topics of mutual interest.