Official Trivia Contest Rules
U.S. Embassy Havana’s #laverdadimporta Media Literacy Contest
U.S. Embassy Havana’s #laverdadimporta Media Literacy Contest is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Embassy Havana (the “Contest Sponsors”).
Description of the Contest
This contest is intended to promote awareness of media influence and create an active stance towards both consuming and creating media. The purpose of media literacy education is to help individuals of all ages develop the habits of inquiry and skills of expression that they need to be critical thinkers, effective communicators, and active citizens in today’s world.
The U.S. Embassy Havana’s Twitter account will post one trivia question each day for 10 business days beginning May 12, 2022, until May 25, 2022. FIVE winners will be randomly selected from all participants who correctly answered the trivia question each day and prior to the next question being published. Answers submitted following the publication of the following day’s question will not be considered eligible.
Only participants aged 18 and over may participate.
FIVE winners who answer each trivia question correctly every day for 10 business days will receive an Embassy Swag Bag!*
*contents may vary
(See the “Eligibility” section below to find out who is eligible to be a contestant.)
This trivia contest is administered through Twitter/Facebook. Twitter/Facebook is not a partner in the administration of the contest. Contestants are reminded that by participating in the contest and uploading content to Twitter/Facebook, they are bound by Twitter’s/Facebook’s Terms of Service and any agreements with Twitter/Facebook contained therein.
How to Enter
Provide an answer to the posed trivia question by tweeting a reply.
Participation in this contest is deemed as acceptance of these Official Contest Rules.
The contest commences May 12, 2022 at 10AM Eastern Time. Entries must be submitted within 24 hours before the follow trivia question is posted. Judging begins on May 26, 2022 and ends of May 31, 2022. Winners will be announced on the U.S. Embassy Twitter and Facebook accounts on June 1, 2022.
- Submissions must not contain obscenity, explicit sexual material, nudity, profanity, graphic violence, calls or incitement to violence, commercial solicitation or commercial promotion. Submissions must conform to local law and must not contain content or images that could be considered abusive, inflammatory, denigrating, or disrespectful to any of the Contest Sponsors, or to any groups, individuals or institutions. Submissions must adhere both in appearance and in fact to the norms of civil discourse. In other words, the content of all submissions must be suitable for a global, public audience.
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify, at their sole and absolute discretion, any submission that does not adhere to these criteria and to the intent and substance of these Official Contest Rules.
- In the event of any question or difference of views regarding compliance with, interpretation, or application of these content requirements or other provisions of these Official Contest Rules, Contest Sponsors reserve the exclusive right to resolve such questions or differences of views in their sole discretion.
- Contestants must be at least 18 years old on the date of entry into the contest. Contestants must be residents of Cuba and may not be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.
- The individual submitting the entry will be considered the contestant and will be the only individual eligible to compete for the prize. Organizations are not eligible to compete for the prize, either as an entity, or through representation by an individual. In order to be eligible for the prize, the contestant must provide complete and accurate information.
- The following individuals are not eligible to participate in the contest: Employees, interns, directors, and officers of the Contest Sponsors, Twitter, Facebook, or the U.S. Government; or any employee, interns, directors, or officers of any agencies, companies, or entities involved in the administration, advertising, judging, creation, development, execution, and/or fulfillment of this contest; and the immediate family members (defined as spouse, recognized partner, parent, child, sibling, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such individual.
- Once a submission has been accepted for entry into the contest, the contestant’s name (or User ID, if the contestant wishes to remain anonymous) and country may be publicly identified at the sole discretion of the contestant.
Selection of Winners
Five [ 5 ] winners will be chosen at random from those who responded correctly to the trivia questions daily and consecutively for 10 business days. Responses submitted after publication of the next trivia question will not be considered. Winners will be contacted via direct message. The inability of Contest Sponsors to contact a potential winner may result in disqualification and/or selection of an alternate winner from among all remaining eligible submissions.
Five winners will receive a U.S. Embassy Swag Bag, contents of which may vary but could include electronics, books, DVDs, T-shirts, pins, souvenirs, or supplements to English language learning.
- Each winner must provide a valid physical mailing address where a prize, if any, is to be shipped. Contest Sponsors are not responsible for any problems related to the shipping of any prize, including, but not limited to, theft, delay, damage, or destruction/accidental loss by the shipping carrier. If a winner does not provide a valid physical mailing address, then the Contest Sponsors reserve the right to select an alternative winner.
- Any unused portion of the prize is not transferable, convertible, or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash. All taxes on or in connection with any prize, and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the winner.
Liability and Rights
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right at any time, to verify the validity of entries and of contestants and to disqualify any contestant or entry deemed not in compliance with these Official Contest Rules. Contest Sponsors also reserve the right to request further documentation, at their sole and absolute discretion, to verify eligibility and compliance with these Official Contest Rules.
- If a prize or any portion thereof is unavailable, Contest Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value and/or specification.
- If this contest is interfered or tampered with in any way by a contestant, or a person acting on the contestant’s behalf, or, if, as a consequence of such interference, the contest is not capable of being reasonably conducted in the manner anticipated by Contest Sponsors, the Contest Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion to disqualify any interfering contestant and/or modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the contest.
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the contest at their discretion for any reason.
- Contestant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Contest Sponsors, their parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, employees, interns, and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debts, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from (I) violation of these Official Contest Rules; (ii) violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, intellectual property, privacy, publicity, or other proprietary right in connection with the contest; or (iii) any claim that a contest submission caused any harm, including financial, to any third party. These indemnification and hold harmless obligations will survive indefinitely beyond the conclusion of the contest.
- The conduct, judging, and awarding of prizes will be carried out in full compliance with applicable U.S. law and host country law. In the event of a conflict between U.S. law and host country law, U.S. law shall apply.
- Contest Sponsors and the U.S. Government will take reasonable measures to protect privacy data, personally identifiable information, and other sensitive data of contestants. Contact information provided by contestants may be stored by the U.S. Embassy in Havana and may be used to contact contestants for other purposes in the future. This information may be shared with the co-sponsor of the contest and/or be made available to third parties, to the extent permitted by law.
- Contest Sponsors assume no liability or responsibility for any loss or harm resulting from any user’s participation in or attempt to participate in the contest or ability or inability to upload, download, or otherwise access any information in connection with participating in the contest. Contest Sponsors assume no responsibility or liability for technical problems, or technical malfunctions arising in connection with the operation of the contest, including: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity, or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the contest site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the contest site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the contest.
- Use of contest site is at user’s own risk. Contest Sponsors are not responsible for any personal injury, property damage, or losses of any kind which may be sustained to computer equipment resulting from participation in the contest, use of the contest site or the downloading of information from the contest site. By participating in the contest, the contestant releases Contest Sponsors from any and all claims arising from or relating to such contestant’s participation in the contest, whether directly or indirectly.
Contest Sponsors are not liable in the event that any portion of the contest is cancelled or delayed due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other reason.
 Throughout the contest rules, the term “sponsors” is used to represent either single or multiple sponsors, where applicable.